Well, friends, it seems that the Lord has opened the door for Jon and I to possibly be pilots.
We may have the opportunity to be a pilot family for a new African adoption program through our adoption agency in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC).
Our director is going to the country this month to find out more information and figure out logistics. Please join us in PRAYING for the 4.2 million orphans in Congo and for our director's trip!
Here's a little bit of what we've learned about the DRC so far:
- formerly known as Zaire, DRC is one of the poorest countries in the world, per capita annual income of $171
- Life expectancy is about 46 years (2009)
- Less than 1/2 the population have access to clean water
- DRC is slightly less than 1/4 the size of the US
- half the population is Roman Catholic, only 20% Protestant
- there are an estimated 4.2 million orphans in DRC, 39 million in Africa
- 15% of the population under age 18 are orphans
- In some areas, 2 of 3 women have been victims of sexual violence, mainly by armed men; in the rest of the country, it is 1 in 2 people (men & women)
(Stats taken from http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/2823.htm, http://www.easterncongo.org/, http://www.orphanministries.com/)
We are willing to be a "pilot family" for the Democratic Republic of Congo if God keeps that door open for us, especially if it means that more children will be able to be rescued by loving, Godly families!
PLEASE PRAY FOR US!