Thanks for your support of our adoption journey. We would love for you to join us in praying that God would give us wisdom, patience and perseverance as we go through the process to adopt our children! We appreciate the many people walking this adoption journey with us in prayer! ~Jon & Bethany

August 8, 2011

Shoes for Orphans

We have not started collecting donations to take to the Congo with us yet, but one of my favorite local consignment shops for kids stuff was having an "end of summer sale" and all the shoes were marked down to $1.00!!! So... I cleared them out! I tried to get all the sturdiest, well made shoes I could find so they will last!
Many are stride-rite and other quality brands! Oh, and the best part is when I was checking out I realized my punch card got it's final punch & I got $10 off my purchase!! So I got all 18 pairs of shoes for under $10.00!!!!



WHY SHOES?
{I found this on TOMS website (the shoe company that donates 1 pair of shoes to a child in need for every 1 pair sold)}

Many children in developing countries grow up barefoot. Whether at play, doing chores or going to school, these children are at risk:

•A leading cause of disease in developing countries is soil-transmitted diseases, which can penetrate the skin through bare feet. Wearing shoes can help prevent these diseases, and the long-term physical and cognitive harm they cause.
•Wearing shoes also prevents feet from getting cuts and sores. Not only are these injuries painful, they also are dangerous when wounds become infected.
•Many times children can't attend school barefoot because shoes are a required part of their uniform. If they don't have shoes, they don't go to school.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment